Back to School
It's almost time to head back to school! We may not be done with summer quite yet but I do want to share some important details about what to expect in the year ahead.
As a reminder, the first day of school for students in grades 1-5 is Wednesday, August 30th with Kindergarten beginning one day later on Thursday, August 31st.
Please read the following information carefully:
- 9:00 is the start of the school day. 8:45 is when doors open for students. Tardy numbers were up last year - please make every effort to get your child to school on time.
- We highly recommend and encourage families to use the school bus. Traffic and safety on Oslo Street are directly impacted by the number of families who drop their children off in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon.
- Please be sure to check new bus routes on the Groton Public Schools (GPS) website when they become available. Routes and bus numbers for NEA have changed this year.
- Teacher assignment letters for all students are headed to the mail very soon. They should arrive to you by the middle of next week.
- ParentSquare has become a primary tool for home-to-school communication across the district. Be sure to create your account!
- Northeast Academy continues to be peanut and tree nut free. Please do not send yourchild to school with any peanut or tree nut products.
- We will continue the practice of not allowing food from home for any in-class celebrations. Our food services department has a menu posted online to order from. Please coordinate with your child's classroom teacher.
- Breakfast only will be free for ALL students this year. Lunch will be either full pay or free - the free meal application can be found on the GPS main page.
- Parents looking to volunteer at NEA are welcome! Stay tuned for more information in September regarding required volunteer training sessions.
- Parent Pickup procedures will remain the same this year. We will begin the process at 3:10 and continue to utilize the second traffic circle. Students will be escorted out to you in the order of your arrival. Drivers will be asked to show identification. Please stay in your car and proceed along carefully.
- Tree House continues to run a before and after school care program here at NEA for our students. If you are interested in having your child attend, please call (860) 572-5852 extension 52133.
We are excited about the school year ahead! School is a partnership and we are fortunate here in the NEA community to have such wonderful connections with our families. Please bookmark your calendar for the afternoon of Tuesday, August 29th at 2pm. This is when our annual "Sneak Peek" will occur - come visit your new classroom and meet your new teacher!
Please enjoy the remaining days of summer!
Ryan Chaney Principal